D-Day: History Lessons of Courtney and TIna
I'm not sure if everyone was aware, but last Tuesday marked the 62nd anniversary of the Battle of Normandy, more commonly referred to as D-Day. Most everyone was most likely in a rush to their respective movie theaters to catch Kate Hudson's latest the Omen on 6.6.06.
Now you may be wondering why perhaps I would be leaving you a blog about this day but in due time you will understand what it is like to live a day in the life of the always inquisitive Courtney Clark
It was about a week before Tuesday, June 6, 2006 when the short-series the Band of Brothers became available via HBO: Dish on Demand. For my fellow Crazy Clam employees and loyal drinking partners and I, this served as a perfect hangover cure and way to pass our mornings. However, as we became more and more enthralled into the film it came to our attention that none of us were aware of why in fact the great Battle of Normandy was called D-Day. After calling my mother and a few other select family members I gave up went to work and made myself a cocktail. But, soon I would have an epiphany and of course I knew who to call. The ever fabulous and remarkable Ms. Tina Marie Capozzi. I will let her voicemail explain from here...
"Ms. Courtney Alida Clark. I have to tell you that I did not know what D-Day meant. At first I thought it stood for Declaration-Day or Designation-Day, and I was like I think she's right [those are Fourth of July terms]. So, I asked my mom, the history teacher, and she said that it just stood for the Day. I thought that sounded a little off, so I checked it out. So, basically here's the terminology the army would use; D is for day and H is for Hour. So say someone was to say H-3, it would mean 3hrs. before they would do something or D+3 is 3 days after. Therefore D-Day just meant the day and they could refer to it as H+5 or D-2 before and after the Battle of Normandy.
So I think that is pretty interesting and I'm glad I know that because of you."
Hope all is well, ring myself or Tina if you have any questions on the Battle or Normandy or any other plaguing history dilemmas. (I don't know who truly shot Kennedy so don't even try it jerks!)
Love, Courts.

1 Comments:
i think that is my exact voicemail, and i love you for writing it. great way to keep us well-rounded ladies court.
i think i am gona go watch BOB now.
6:06 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home